Why Did Evan Leave ENHYPEN? What He Said at His Solo Showcase

Nobody who typed "why did Evan leave ENHYPEN" into a search bar on Monday got a straight answer, and Evan was the one declining to give it. A few hours before his first mini album DEATH OF ME dropped, the former Heeseung stood in front of press at Kyung Hee University's Grand Peace Palace in Seoul (September 7, KST) and said, more or less, that the full story isn't his alone to tell.

So here's what he did say, plus the six months of receipts that got us to Monday.

Title card asking "Why Did Evan Leave ENHYPEN?" over the subtitle "DEATH OF ME showcase, September 7, 2026 KST".

The answer he gave, and the one he didn't

The quote that travelled fastest came when a reporter asked the obvious thing: why couldn't he release solo music and stay in the group? Evan's reply, in Sports Kyunghyang's translation: "Many people were involved in the process of transitioning to a solo career, so I ask for your understanding that it is difficult for me alone to answer for every step."

That's a no. A polite, well-rehearsed no, but a no.

What he would commit to was the emotional side. "I understand fans' disappointment and concerns," he said, followed by a promise to "repay you with sincere music and actions." On the six members he left behind, Korea JoongAng Daily has him saying "I am so proud of them," and on the backlash itself: "As Evan, I think the greatest way I can address that going forward is by showing this side of myself through my music and through genuine, sincere actions."

I'll admit I wanted more. But the company line has been identical since March, and he was never going to break it on a showcase stage with Belift Lab staff in the wings. For the record, that line, from Belift to The Korea Herald on March 15: "Heeseung will not be returning to Enhypen. He has a clear artistic direction he wants to pursue, and we decided to respect that."

Six months of receipts

Quick timeline, because the exit itself moved fast. Belift announced his departure on March 10, mid-promotion. Protest trucks were parked outside HYBE headquarters by March 11, the Herald reported in that same piece. A Change.org petition created the day he left asked the label to let him go solo without leaving the group; when I opened it on the morning of September 8 KST the counter read 2,076,848 supporters, though the page itself now shows as unavailable. On April 9 he got a new name, Evan, one The Korea Herald says he has used since childhood. On June 22 came the solo debut, the digital single "Ride or Die," which Soompi filed as an alternative rock song with "powerful electric guitar riffs."

That song is on this album too. So the "first mini album" is not eight brand-new tracks, and the rock lane was chosen months ago.

Quote card reading "I understand fans' disappointment and concerns. I will repay you with sincere music and actions," credited to Evan at the September 7 showcase in Sports Kyunghyang's translation.

The part nobody expected: fourth grade

The reveal that reframed the whole release came three days early, in a pre-release interview AsiaOne ran on September 4. Evan was diagnosed with malignant lymphoma in the fourth grade. He remembers other patients on the ward dying, and thinking "I want to live so badly, I want to go home." He said he hadn't brought it up once since becoming a singer, which puts nearly six years of idol life between the diagnosis and Monday's headlines.

At the showcase he tied it straight to the title track. The hook of "Death of Me" is the line "this ain't the death of me" (Sports Kyunghyang walks through the lyric), and, in JoongAng's account of the showcase, he called childhood cancer treatment "brutal and painful" and said he wants the song to reach kids going through it now. His stated motto, same report: "My motto as an artist is to give hope to people through music."

Hmm. I'll be honest that a cynical reading exists, a sympathetic story landing the week of a contested solo debut, and I don't buy it. You don't put a lymphoma diagnosis in a press cycle for clicks, and the timing reads more like someone deciding what the album is about before anyone else could decide for him.

What's on DEATH OF ME

Eight tracks: "Death of Me," "Ride or Die," "Overflow," "Not Enough," "Noise," "Twilight," "Immature," "Going Home." JoongAng reports he wrote lyrics on all eight and has composition credits on seven, everything except "Noise." The title track's producer credit, on the tracklist listing, goes to Imad Royal.

The album dropped at 6 p.m. KST Monday (5 a.m. ET, 10 a.m. BST), and the MV is on HYBE LABELS' channel:

The album is on Spotify and the other major DSPs from the same hour. The showcase itself streamed live on Weverse and the HYBE LABELS YouTube channel at 7 p.m. KST (Soompi's running notice has the details), so the Weverse replay is where to go if you slept through it in the Americas.

Full disclosure on my own process: I have not had the full album on loop yet. I read the showcase coverage across half a dozen outlets, went and found the petition page myself, and skimmed the credits. A real listen-through verdict can wait a week; the news can't.

Where I land

Grade for the showcase, as a piece of communication: C+. He was gracious, he said the conciliatory things in the right places, and he told us nothing about the actual decision, which is the one thing two million petition signers wanted addressed. Grade for choosing to tell the cancer story on his own terms, before it could leak: A.

Whether ENGENE forgives him is above my pay grade. Whether "EVER" (his fandom name since June, yes, really) becomes a thing depends on the six tracks I haven't scored yet.

If you've listened already: which B-side is the keeper? I'm going in blind, so tell me where to start. Leave it in the comments and I'll come back with the album review next week.


This is a running news series, not a one-off post — new stories go up twice a day, roughly 7am and 7pm Korea time.

About · Privacy Policy

More Korea coverage from our network: Korea Travel Planner · K-Sports Global · Korean Table · Seoul Skin Notes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NCT WISH Confirm 'I SPY' Comeback for October 12

New K-Dramas in September 2026 and Where to Stream Them

82MAJOR's First Music Show Win: What Happened in Five Days